The Aluminaire House was designed as a case study by architects A. Lawrence Kocher and Albert Frey in 1931 for the New York Architectural League Show at the Museum of Modern Art. The three-story house, made of donated materials and built in ten days, was the first all-metal house in the United States.
After the show the house was sold to architect Wallace K. Harrison, who disassembled it and moved it to his Long Island estate, where it became the core of an extensive complex. By 1940 the so-called “Tin House” was once again disassembled and moved to another portion of the property, where it became a guest house.
The property was subdivided by new buyers in the 1980s who planned to demolish the Aluminaire House, but agreed to donate the house to the New York Institute of Technology, which reassembled the house on the school’s Central Islip campus. The property is to be transferred to a trust dedicated to its maintenance.